Thoughts, ideas and creativity in process.

Twitter: jessicarachel_x
Facebook: facebook.com/JessicaRachelMakeupArtist
Email: jessicarachelchalmers@live.co.uk

Thursday 17 January 2013

Scarification


When thinking of ways to create an effective and striking catwalk/editorial look, I remembered a practical seminar I had been to at university in which we had learned an interesting way to represent scarification.

Scarification is a method of permanent body modification. Although its origins are tribal, it is no used in modern day fashion as a new form of 'tattoo'.Scarification can be achieved in a number of ways:

Cutting:
This method is fairly self explanatory  It involves the cutting of flesh in particular patterns to achieve a permanent collection of scarring.

Skinning:
This is the peeling away of skin which results in larger scarred areas and also an inconsistent texture to the skin.

Packing:
This is when a diagonal cut is made into the skin and then the cut is packed with ash or earth. This creates large and often extremely noticeable, textured scarring.

Abraision:
This is when layers of skin are removed through rubbing away at the surface of the desired area. This is much like when sanding a piece of wood and stripping away the top layers.

I have included pictures of tribal and modern day scarification as I found both fascinating.

Tribal Scarification:

 

Modern Scarification:
 

I have a few tattoos and have had over fifteen piercings myself and body modification is something that has always attracted and interested me. Therefore, I found this subject matter to be extremely inspiring and was extremely excited when I was able to learn an effective way of creating Scarification in front of the lens.

 


I have included a list of kit and the method in which I achieved this:


Kit Used:
-Cleanser, Toner & Moisturizer.
-Liquid Latex.
-Split Peas.
-Cotton Buds.
-Spirit Gum Remover.
-Illamasqua Rich Liquid Foundation.
-Real Techniques Buffing Brush.

Method:
-Anything can be used to create scarring, Rice, split peas, lentils, chick peas.etc.
-Choose the medium to apply to skin.
-Apply to skin in desired pattern using Liquid Latex.
-Leave to dry and then cover again with Liquid Latex.
-Find a Foundation or Paint to match the models’ skin tone and paint carefully over the ‘scars’
-This blends the scarring back into the skin and gives the effect of Scarification.


This was all completely new to me and I have to say I enjoyed it thoroughly  I am really pleased with the outcome of my first scarification trial and I will definitely look to incorporate Scarification into a final shot!

1 comment:

  1. I prefer burning with hot metal than cutting. Just my 2 cents

    ReplyDelete